Faith, Ledyard & Faith PLC
888-350-8767 623-806-8994
COVID-19 NOTIFICATION: To protect your safety and the safety of our staff, in response to the threat of COVID-19, we are offering the option to connect with us via telephone, email and video-conferencing. Our staff are fully operational. Please call or email us to discuss your options.
view our practice areas In the section

70/30 braking on a motorcycle

Braking on a motorcycle is one of the most important and yet complicated skills. It simply does not translate well from driving a car, where you just step on the pedal. In modern cars, you don't even need to know how to pump the brakes. The anti-lock braking system does all the work for you. It's a simple, one-step motion.

On a motorcycle, it's important to start by thinking about using both the front and rear brakes at the same time. Hitting just one or the other increases the potential to lose control of the bike.

However, you do not always want to put 50% of your braking into each tire. You actually want to use the 70/30 braking rule on many bikes, which means that only 30% of your braking happens in the back and the other 70% happens in the front.

There is also something to be said for the style of bike you ride. Dirt bike riders almost never engage their front brakes. Those on large cruisers have more weight in the back of the bike, so they can put more than 30% of their braking in the back without losing control. Sportbikes, with their vertical forks, are better suited for front braking. You need to consider the terrain, the tires, your experience and the type of riding you do.

Of course, even knowing how to brake in an emergency does not mean you can always avoid an accident on Arizona's roads. Be sure you know how to seek financial compensation if another driver causes a serious crash.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Lead Counsel Rated LC
  • Paul Faith David Ledyard Distinguished AV | Peer Review Rated | LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell | For Ethical Standards & Legal Ability

919 North Dysart Road
Suite F
Avondale, AZ 85323

Toll Free: 888-350-8767
Phone: 623-806-8994
Avondale Law Office Map