Faith, Ledyard & Faith, PLC
COVID-19 NOTIFICATION: To protect your safety and the safety of our staff, in response to the threat of COVID-19, we are offering the option to connect with us via telephone, email and video-conferencing. Our staff are fully operational. Please call or email us to discuss your options.
A Full-Service Law Firm Serving the West Valley and Greater Phoenix for More Than 40 Years
PA Image
Real Estate Law
PA Image
Personal Injury
PA Image
Civil Litigation
Construction Law
PA Image
PA Image
Employment Law
PA Image
Estate Planning
PA Image
Debt Collection
PA Image
Government Law
PA Image
Criminal Defense
PA Image
Business And
Commercial Law
PA Image
En Español

Answers to common questons about zoning in Maricopa County

| Jun 14, 2016 | Uncategorized |

It can be quite confusing to deal with Maricopa County zoning laws simply because the laws and regulations can apply to many different types of property. Here are some common questions about zoning regulations and requirements in the county.

— When can I operate a business from my home?

The Zoning Ordinance defines two types of home occupation. The first is a residential home occupation. Chapters five and six of the Zoning Ordinance list the conditions for this type of home occupation. Parties or garage and yard sales are not considered to be a home occupation as long there are no more than six a year. The second is a cottage industry. This type of home occupation requires a Special Use Permit. Details can be found in the Zoning Ordinance, Chapter 13.

— What is a Plan of Development?

A Plan of Development describes how a land parcel will be improved. It includes structure outlines and improvements to the site, including utility connections, property lines, driveways and more. In most cases, there are no entitlements, which means that additional approvals for things such as variances or zoning need to be obtained. It is valid for two years, and there is another possible year extension.

— Do I need a permit for fence? A permit is needed for any fencing that is over one foot high. Building and zoning clearances are required for fencing that is on a vacant property, over eight feet tall, a pool barrier, a retaining wall or is located on a property on a hillside. Any other type of fencing is D-fencing and must have a drainage clearance. More information can be found on Maricopa County’s Residential Construction page.

These are just a small sampling of the many possible questions you may have when dealing with a zoning issue. An Arizona attorney experienced in real estate law can be very helpful in determining how to proceed.

Source:, “Frequently Asked Questions,” accessed June 14, 2016

Lead Counsel Rated LC
Certified specialist | State bar of Arizona | Real Estate | Law Specialist
Distinguished AV | Peer Review Rated | LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell | For Ethical Standards & Legal Ability
Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent peer rated for highest level of professional Excellence 2020
Expertise Best Real Estate Layers in Phoenix 2020


FindLaw Network

Stay Connected With Us